The Ella and Georg Ehrnrooth Foundation was established in 1935 to promote scientific research and literature through grants. Over the past decades, the foundation has been playing an increasingly important role in funding scientific research and literature.
On 7 May 1935, Georg Ehrnrooth, deputy judge and vuorineuvos, issued a decree establishing an independent foundation. On October 26, 1935, Ella Ehrnrooth, confirmed the deed of the foundation, which led to The Ella and the Georg Ehrnrooth Foundation acquiring legal status as a foundation on December 5, 1935.
The board is made up of members of the Ehrnrooth family and professors at the University of Helsinki. Board work has always been characterized by continuity since the foundation. A good example of this is the fact that the foundation has had only seven chairmen during its 85 years of operation.
Over the past decades, the foundation has been playing an increasingly important role in funding scientific research and writing.
At the start of its operations, the Foundation awarded only a few grants and awards, while in 2019, the Foundation distributed grants to 88 people, worth over 2,1 million euros. Well over a thousand people have already received grants from The Ella and Georg Ehrnrooth Foundation.
During the 1990s, the foundation began to give greater priority to literary, cultural and biological research. Responsibility for research in "hard" science was clearly transferred to the Magnus Ehrnrooth Foundation. As a result of this distribution and the increasing availability of funds, the importance of the foundation to Finnish research, especially in the humanities, social sciences and biological sciences, continues to grow.
Our foundation is a member of the Association of Finnish Foundations, and we follow the code of conduct Best Practice for Foundations.
To celebrate its 75th anniversary, The Ella and Georg Ehrnrooth Foundation decided to document their activities in the form of a history review. Written by Ph.D. Peter Stadius it covers the years 1935–2010. It is published in Swedish and Finnish. The history review is called "For Science and Literature" and contains a wealth of information about the foundation. The reader can for example get acquainted with the cultural and social situation during which the foundation was established and what the foundation has meant to Finnish science and literature.
In addition, the reader can follow the positive development of the foundation to this day. The positive economic development of the foundation has given it an increasingly important role in financing Finnish science.
If you are interested in the history review, you can order it from the foundation's agent.